This trip encompasses three of the six Brazilian recognized biomes, the Pantanal, the Cerrado and the Amazon. Most of the destinations are located in the state of Mato Grosso, home of approximately 900 bird species and the South American “Big Five”: Jaguar, Brazilian Tapir, Maned Wolf, Giant Anteater and Giant River Otter. The main city is Cuiabá, that is also the gate to the northern Pantanal area where we will stay in three different lodges.
A big patch of Cerrado is protected in the Chapada dos Guimarães National Park, just 65km from Cuiabá. Also, the Gardens of the Amazon will give us the first impressions about the Amazon, where we will find the enigmatic Cone-billed Tanager.
Back to Cuiabá we will take a flight to Alta Floresta for more adventures in the Amazon at first at the Rio Azul Jungle Lodge and finally at the Fazenda Anacã and a few localities in the left bank of the Teles Pires river.
Greater Rhea, Red-legged Seriema, Razor-billed Curassow, Bare-faced Curassow, Chaco Chachalaca, Speckled Chachalaca, Chestnut-bellied Guan, Spix’s Guan, Red-throated Piping-Guan, Blue-throated Piping-Guan, Green Ibis, Plumbeous Ibis, Jabiru, Maguari stork, Zigzag Heron, Boat-billed Heron, Agami Heron, Capped Heron, Undulated Tinamou, White Hawk, Black-collared hawk, Black Caracara, Red-throated Caracara, Scaled Pigeon, Hyacinth Macaw, Red-and-green Macaw, Scarlet Macaw, Blue-and-yellow Macaw, Golden-collared Macaw, Red-bellied Macaw, White-bellied Parrot, Nanday Parakeet, Madeira Parakeet, Crimson-bellied Parakeet, Red-fan Parrot, Toco Toucan, Red-necked Aracari, Natterer’s Striolated Puffbird, Eastern Striolated Puffbird, Black-girdled Barbet, Brown Jacamar, Paradise Jacamar, Pale-crested Woodpecker, Red-necked Woodpecker, Rondonia Warbling-Antbird, Mato Grosso Antbird, Manu Antbird, Amazonian Antpitta, Alta Floresta Antpitta, Amazonia Royal Flycatcher, Black-chested Tyrant, Helmeted Pygmy-Tyrant, Plain Tyrannulet, Amazonian Tyrannulet, Fiery-capped Manakin, Snow-capped Manakin, Amazonian Umbrellabird, Pompadour Cotinga, Spangled Cotinga, Bare-necked Fruitcrow, Screaming Piha, Purplish Jay, Curl-crested Jay, Fawn-breasted Wren, Paradise Tanager, Blue-headed Tanager, Cone-billed Tanager and also mammals like the most wanted: jaguar! Follow by Marsh Deer, Giant Otter, Lowland Tapir, Maned Wolf, White-lipped Peccary, Black-tailed Marmoset, Black-faced Spider Monkey and others.
- Day 1: Cuiabá Airport to Pousada Piuval;
- Day 2: Birding the Piuval Lodge;
- Day 3: Pousada Piuval to Porto Jofre;
- Day 4: Birding the Cuiabá River (Boat Trip – Jaguar and Giant Otter);
- Day 5: Porto Jofre to Pousada Rio Claro;
- Day 6: Boat trip at the Claro River and transfer to Gardens of the Amazon;
- Day 7: Gardens of the Amazon (Jatobá Trail);
- Day 8: Gardens of the Amazon (Cone-billed Tanager by boat);
- Day 9: Chapada dos Guimarães;
- Day 10: Chapada dos Guimarães;
- Day 11: Airport – flight to Alta Floresta and transfer to the Rio Azul Jungle Lodge;
- Day 12: Full day at the Rio Azul Jungle Lodge;
- Day 13: Rio Azul Jungle Lodge to Fazenda Anacã;
- Day 14: Fazenda Anacã (Mr. Jesus Farm);
- Day 15: Fazenda Anacã (Rancho Novo Farm);
- Day 16: Birding near Alta Floresta and Flight to Cuiabá; End of the trip.
When to go
- June to November.
- Ask in advance for details.
- Accommodation in double rooms;
- All meals during the trip (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner);
- Ground Transport with local driver;
- 03 Boat trips (Rio Claro Lodge, Porto Jofre and Gardens of the Amazon);
- Guide Services.
- Drinks and Bar services;
- Flight from Cuiabá to Alta Floresta;
- Phone services;
- Air tickets.