This is a binational trip that starts in Brazil at the highland grasslands of Santa Catarina and ends in Argentina at the Ibera Marshes. The main aim of this trip is to see the 12 Sporophila species that breeds in the grassland environments of the Southern Cone. Despite the emphasis on this fantastic group of South American birds, we will cross distinct environments along the way that allows us to see the typical species of each one of these birding areas, like the Highland Grasslands in Santa Catarina, the Espinal in western Rio Grande do Sul and Argentina, and the grasslands and wetlands of the Ibera Marshes. The trips begin at the Florianópolis Airport and ends at Uruguaiana Airport or extends to coastal Rio Grande do Sul for more specialties.
Greater Rhea, Maguari Stork, Southern Screamer, Red-legged Seriema, Black-chested Buzzard-Eagle, Crowned Eagle, Cinereous Harrier, Ash-throated Crake, Giant Wood-Rail, Checkered Woodpecker, White-fronted Woodpecker, Mottled Piculet, Cream-backed Woodpecker, Coscoroba Swan, Blue-tufted Starthroat, Gilded Hummingbird, Black-and-white Monjita, Long-tailed Cinclodes, Long-billed Reedhaunter, Brown Cacholote, Chotoy Spinetail, Tufted Tit-Spinetail, Short-billed Canastero, Little Thornbird, Lark-like Brushrunner, Marsh Tapaculo, Streamer-tailed Tyrant, Strange-tailed Tyrant, Sharp-tailed Tyrant, Spectacled Tyrant, Vermilion Flycatcher, Suiriri Flycatcher, Azure Jay, Ochre-breasted Pipit, Eastern Slaty Trush, Fawn-breasted Tanager, Blue-and-yellow Tanager, Black-capped Warbling-Finch, Gray-throated Warbling-Finch, Golden-billed Saltator, Glaucous-blue Grosbeak, Yellow Cardinal, Red-crested Cardinal, and the Tropeiro, Tawny-bellied, Black-bellied, Pearly-bellied, Rusty-collared, White-bellied, Dark-throated, Chestnut, Marsh, Ochre-rumped, Ibera and Double-collared Seedeaters.
- Day 1: Florianópolis Airport to Hotel in Capão Alto, Santa Catarina;
- Day 2: Birding at the Pai João Farm and transfer to Vacaria, Rio Grande do Sul;
- Day 3: Birding the Vacaria and Bom Jesus area. Overnight at Vacaria.
- Day 4: Vacaria to Santo Ângelo, Rio Grande do Sul. Birding at Granja do Sossego in the evening. Overnight at Santo Ângelo.
- Day 5: Some birding along the way do Uruguaiana. Overnight at Uruguaiana.
- Day 6: Birding the Espinilho State Park. Overnight at Uruguaiana;
- Day 7: Early transfer to Ibera Marshes in Argentina. Overnight at Carlos Pellegrini;
- Day 8: Birding the Ibera Marshes;
- Day 9: Birding the Ibera Marshes;
- Day 10: Transfer to Uruguaiana Airport. End of the trip or bird extension to Lagoa do Peixe National Park.
When to go
- November to February.
- Ask in advance for details.
- Accommodation in double rooms;
- All meals during the trip (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner);
- Ground Transport with local driver;
- Guide Services.
- Drinks and Bar services;
- Phone services;
- Air tickets.